city, northern Armenia. It lies at the confluence of the Pambak, Tandzut, and Vanadzoriget rivers. In 1826 the villages of Bolshoy and Maly Karaklis were merged into the town of Karaklis. Construction of the Tiflis-Karaklis-Alexandropol railway at the end of the 19th century speeded the town's development. In 1935 the name of Karaklis was officially changed to Kirovakan to honour the Soviet official Sergey Kirov. The name Vanadzor was adopted in 1993, after Armenia had gained its independence from the former Soviet Union. Electricity from a nearby hydroelectric station on the Pambak River serves Vanadzor's chemical industries, which produce carbide, ammonia, acetate silk, synthetic corundum, and plastic resin. Other industries include the production of precision tools, chemical machinery, textiles, and foodstuffs. The city was one of several in Armenia that were devastated by an earthquake in 1988. Pop. (1989) 74,300
Learn more about Vanadzor with a free trial on Britannica.com.