Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
city, eastern Queensland, eastern Australia, on Port Curtis, an inlet of the Coral Sea. Originally settled in 1847 as a colony by the New South Wales government, it was abandoned in 1848 but was resettled by squatters in 1853. It became a municipality in 1863 and was named for W.E. Gladstone, the British statesman. A tourist centre for the Great Barrier Reef, it is located in a cattle and dairy region. Its fine natural harbour, with anchorages of up to 70 feet (20 metres), was a mustering place for convoys during World War II. Rapid postwar development was based on the export of coal to Japan (from the Kiang-Moura field), aluminum (reduced from bauxite deposits at Weipa), sulfuric acid, and meat products. Pop. (2001) 26,625.