town, industrial suburb of the town of Preston, South Ribble district, administrative and historic county of Lancashire, England. It overlooks the Rivers Darwen and Ribble. Waletune was of Anglo-Saxon origin, and the suffix le Dale was added in Norman times. The parish church of St. Leonard also dates from this period, although only the chancel and tower of the original building remain. In 1648 the town was the site of a battle between the armies of Oliver Cromwell and James Hamilton, 1st duke of Hamilton. Diversified industries have replaced the area's once-prominent cotton and paper mills. Pop. (latest est.) 29,009.
Learn more about Walton-le-Dale with a free trial on Britannica.com.