city, Houston county, central Georgia, U.S., 10 miles (16 km) south of Macon. It originated as the small railside village of Wellston, which rapidly developed after the establishment in 1941 of Robins Air Force Base, once the home of the 14th Air Force "Flying Tigers" and now headquarters for the Air Force Reserve Command. The city's name honours Brigadier General Augustine Warner Robins (1882-1940), a pioneer of the U.S. Army Air Corps. The base is the major economic factor, but the city also has light industrial development. The Museum of Aviation, adjacent to the base, is a popular tourist attraction. Inc. 1943. Pop. (1990) 43,726; (2000) 48,804.
Learn more about Warner Robins with a free trial on Britannica.com.