Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
town (township), Litchfield county, west-central Connecticut, U.S., on the Naugatuck River immediately northwest of the city of Waterbury. The site was settled in 1701, and in 1738 the community was organized as Westbury, an ecclesiastical society of Waterbury. It was separated and incorporated as Watertown in 1780 and includes the village of Oakville. Several 18th-century houses are clustered around the town's central green. Diversified industrial development began with sawmills, gristmills, and pin firms. In the late 20th century, manufacturing had become fairly diversified and included plastics, rayon, silk, nylon, mattresses, brass goods, electronic products, and watches. The Taft School (1890) and parts of Mattatuck State Forest and Black Rock State Park are in the town. Area 29 square miles (76 square km). Pop. (1990) 20,456; (2000) 21,661.