village, seat (1854) of Schuyler county, central New York, U.S. It lies at the south end of Seneca Lake, in the heart of the Finger Lakes region, 20 miles (32 km) north of Elmira. Settled in 1791, it was incorporated (1842) as Jefferson and was renamed Watkins (1852) to honour Dr. Samuel Watkins, an early promoter. "Glen" was added to its name in 1926. A spectacular gorge, emerging in the centre of the village, has been set aside as Watkins Glen State Park (1906). A creek descends 600 feet (183 metres) through the 1.5-mile- (2-km-) long gorge, forming rapids, pools, and cascades.
Learn more about Watkins Glen with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|a gadget; dingus; thingumbob.|
|the offspring of a zebra and a donkey.|