borough (town), seat (1786) of Chester county, southeastern Pennsylvania, U.S. It lies 27 miles (43 km) west of Philadelphia. Settlement began in the early 1700s, and Turk's Head Inn was established there in 1761; but the town's growth was delayed by a prolonged dispute with Chester (now in Delaware county) over the permanent location of the county seat. During the American Revolution, the Battle of the Brandywine was fought (September 11, 1777) about 7 miles (11 km) south, and shortly thereafter the American general Anthony Wayne's forces were surprised and routed by the British about 8 miles (13 km) northeast
Learn more about West Chester with a free trial on Britannica.com.