west new york
town, Hudson county, northeastern New Jersey, U.S. It lies along the Hudson River, adjacent to Weehawken. The area, originally settled by the Dutch in 1790, was alternately a part of Guttenberg and North Bergen until 1898, when it was detached from North Bergen as a separate town. Situated about 4 miles (6 km) north of Jersey City and directly west of Manhattan Island, New York City, it is a part of the Port of New York and New Jersey and has docks and grain elevators serving oceangoing ships. It is an industrial community, and its manufactures include embroideries, apparel, silk, and leather goods. Inc. 1898. Pop. (1990) 38,125; (2000) 45,768.
Learn more about West New York with a free trial on Britannica.com.