white sulphur springs
resort city, Greenbrier county, southeastern West Virginia, U.S. It lies in the Allegheny Mountains at an elevation of 1,880 feet (573 metres), just east of Lewisburg. Settled about 1750, it developed as a health spa in the 1770s when a woman reputedly was cured of her rheumatism after bathing in the springs. The springs themselves are on the grounds of the elegant Greenbrier Hotel, which was built by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company in 1913. The White Sulphur Springs Hotel (1854), known as the "Old White," preceded the Greenbrier and served as headquarters and hospital to both sides during the American Civil War. The President's Cottage (1835) housed presidents throughout the 19th century and since 1932 has served as a historical museum. From 1961 to 1995 the hotel contained a secret bunker that was designed to hold members of the United States Congress in the event of a nuclear war.
Learn more about White Sulphur Springs with a free trial on Britannica.com.