Get the details behind our redesign
trophy awarded the winner of women's tennis matches held annually from 1923 to 1989 between British and American teams. A competition comprised five singles and two doubles matches. The cup itself was donated in 1923 by Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman (q.v.). The first contest, at Forest Hills, N.Y., on Aug. 11 and 13, 1923, was won by the United States. Matches were played in the United States in odd-numbered years and in Great Britain in even-numbered years.