Get the details behind our redesign
city, seat (1864) of Yavapai county, west-central Arizona, U.S. It is situated in a mile-high basin among pine-dotted mountains, in an area that is rich in minerals. Gold mining brought the first settlers to the site (1863); farmers and cattlemen followed. Fort Whipple was built and the town was founded in 1864. The secretary of Arizona Territory, Richard McCormick, urged that it be named for the historianWilliam H. Prescott, whose books on the conquest of Mexico and Peru McCormick admired. The town was the capital of Arizona Territory until 1889 (except for the years 1867-77, when the capital was moved to Tucson). A basic cattle-farming and mining economy prevails in the neighbouring countryside, while the city is a trade centre. Prescott is headquarters of the Prescott National Forest and has resort facilities. The city is home to Prescott College (1966), a four-year liberal arts college, and Yavapai (community) College (1966). Inc. 1883. Pop. (2000) 33,938; (2006 est.) 41,528.