city, coastal New South Wales, Australia, in the Illawara district. The village of Wollongong (founded 1816) became a town in 1843, a municipality in 1859, and a city in 1942. It was amalgamated with other municipalities and shires in 1947 to form the City of Wollongong, which extends for some 30 miles (50 km) along the coast. Originally dependent on grazing and lumbering, the area early became the focus of prosperous dairy farming.
Learn more about Wollongong with a free trial on Britannica.com.