city, Crimea, southern Ukraine, on the Kalamit Bay on the west coast of the Crimean Peninsula. Founded in the 6th century BC as a Greek colony and later renamed for Mithradates VI Eupator, sixth king of Pontus, the city has known many masters, passing to Russia with the annexation of the Crimea in 1783. Nearby the Allied armies landed (1854) during the Crimean War. With magnificent beaches, modern Yevpatoriya is a popular health and resort centre as well as a minor coastal and fishing port. Pop. (2001) 105,915; (2005 est.) 106,250.
Learn more about Yevpatoriya with a free trial on Britannica.com.