Dictionary.com Word FAQs

What is the name for the dot over an i or j?

The dot over the i or j is called a tittle. In grammatical terms, it is a diacritic. A diacritic over any letter, as an accent or vowel mark, may also be called a tittle. This term comes from Middle English titil/titel, from Latin titulus 'diacritical mark', 'superscription'.

Copyright © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
About Term Privacy Careers Apps Feedback