What is the X in X-mas?
village, Cook county, northeastern Illinois, U.S. It lies about 30 miles (50 km) northwest of downtown Chicago. Settled in 1836, it was known as Dunton for William Dunton, the original settler, until 1874, when the present name was adopted. A rail connection with Chicago was completed in 1854. Agriculture initially was the economic mainstay, but the village has since developed as a residential suburb of Chicago and has some light industry, including telecommunications research. Arlington Park horse racing track (opened 1927) is just west of the village; destroyed by a fire in 1985, it was reopened in 1989. Arlington Heights's local historical museum is sited in a Victorian home (built 1882); the complex also contains various reconstructed buildings, including a replica 1830s log cabin. Inc. 1887. Pop. (1990) 75,460; (2000) 76,031.