city, Irkutsk oblast (province), far eastern Russia, on the Trans-Siberian Railroad. Founded in 1772 as a station on the Great Siberian Post Road, the town developed as a chief mining centre of the Cheremkhovo bituminous coalfield, but in the 1960s it began a steady decline because of limited reserves and the availability of coal nearby at Tulun. Other industries include machine building and mica processing. Pop. (2000 est.) 69,100
Learn more about Cheremkhovo with a free trial on Britannica.com.