cape and celebrated landmark, Honolulu county, southeastern Oahu island, Hawaii, U.S. It lies at the southern edge of Waikiki. An extinct volcanic crater and tuff cone, Diamond Head was the site of a luakini heiau, an ancient ceremonial structure dedicated to the war god and used by the ancient Hawaiians for worship and human sacrifice. Originally called Leahi by native Hawaiians, the feature became known as Diamond Head in 1825 when British sailors mistook some volcanic calcite crystals for diamonds. Leahi Point, located on the western slope, is its highest spot, rising to 760 feet (232 metres). A trail to the summit for military observation was constructed in 1910; it is now a popular tourist destination because of its panoramic views of Honolulu and the Pacific Ocean. The interior of the crater (diameter 0.5 mile [0.8 km]) is visible from Wilhelmina Rise or Maunalani Heights and is accessible by road tunnel. There are exclusive residential areas on its eastern and western slopes. Diamond Head is a state monument and national natural landmark.
Learn more about Diamond Head with a free trial on Britannica.com.