Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
island of the North Frisian group, in the North Sea off Esbjerg, southwestern Jutland, Den. Crown property until it was purchased by its inhabitants in 1741, it supported a large fishing fleet in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was popularized as a resort by the Jutland nobility about 1900, and its present economy depends jointly on fishing and tourism. The island has an area of 22 square miles (56 square km), three-quarters of which consists of beaches, dunes, heath, and marshland. Its settlements are Nordby and Sonderho. Pop. (1993 est.) 3,153.