city, North Rhine-Westphalia Land (state), western Germany. It lies immediately west of Duisburg, in the Ruhr industrial region. The site of the Roman town Asciburgium, Moers was first mentioned in the 9th century and developed as a medieval flax market around the castle of the counts of Moers (now a museum). It was chartered about 1300. In 1601 Moers became the property of Maurice of Nassau, prince of Orange, who fortified it. The city passed to Prussia in 1712. Moers became important industrially in the early 20th century as a coal- and salt-mining centre. The city's manufactures now include machinery, construction materials, paper, textiles, and food products. The old town is partly ringed by a fortification wall that is 2 miles (3 km) long with a moat and star-shaped dam. Moers has several technical schools, and the Gymnasium Adolfinum continues the tradition of the Protestant college founded there in 1582. Pop. (2003 est.) 107,903.
Learn more about Mors with a free trial on Britannica.com.