9 Q Without U Words for Words With Friends
city, capital of Nievre departement, Bourgogne region, central France, south-southeast of Paris. Situated on the high right bank of the Loire River at its confluence with the Nievre River, it is a typical old provincial town that has been modernized after the establishment of new industries in the vicinity. At the end of the Roman era it was known as Nevirnum, a name believed to be a contraction of its earlier Roman name Noviodunum Aeduorum. In the Middle Ages it changed hands among the powerful families of Europe several times. In the 16th century it was acquired by the Gonzaga family of Mantua who introduced the manufacture of ceramics into Nevers. The cathedral of Saint-Cyr-et-Sainte-Juliette, built between the 11th and 16th centuries, has been restored after being severely damaged by bombing in World War II. The former palace of the dukes of Nevers now houses the law courts. The chapel of the Saint-Gildard convent contains the body of St. Bernadette Soubirous, the visionary of Lourdes, who lived at Nevers from 1860 to 1879. The modern industrial economy of the city includes electrical and nonelectrical machinery, railway equipment, rubber, and the traditional ceramics, which are somewhat in decline. Pop. (1982) 42,768.