Get the details behind our redesign
city, east-central New South Wales, Australia. It is located near the slopes of Mount Canobolas, an extinct volcano. In 1828 the area was named by Sir Thomas Mitchell in memory of the Prince of Orange, his commander during the Peninsular War, and the village of Orange was proclaimed in 1846. It grew after the announcement in 1851 of payable gold deposits at nearby Ophir. Farming replaced mining, and Orange is now the centre of a fruit-growing (mainly apples), mixed-farming, and grazing area. It has stockyards and abattoirs, and light-industrial development includes the manufacture of electrical appliances. It was proclaimed a town in 1885 and a city in 1946. In 1972 it was proclaimed part of the Bathurst-Orange Growth Area, designed to promote decentralization. Orange is noted for its parks and its October cherry blossom festival. Pop. (2006) local government area, 35,339.