city, seat (1839) of Menard county, central Illinois, U.S. It lies on the Sangamon River, about 20 miles (30 km) northwest of Springfield. The area was settled about 1820, and in 1836 a plat for Petersburg (named for Peter Lukins, who owned land on the site) was surveyed by Abraham Lincoln. In a hillside cemetery near the city is the grave of Ann Rutledge, who some historians claim was Lincoln's first love and whose headstone is inscribed with an epitaph written by the poet and novelist Edgar Lee Masters, a native son. The boyhood home of Masters, who is buried in the same cemetery, is maintained as a museum. The county courthouse has a display of Lincoln papers. Lincoln's New Salem State Historic Site, which depicts Petersburg as it was during Lincoln's time, is just to the south. The city's economy is primarily agricultural, with corn (maize), wheat, and soybeans being the chief crops of the surrounding area. The extensive Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish and Wildlife Area is west of the city. Inc. 1841. Pop. (1990) 2,261; (2000) 2,299.
Learn more about Petersburg with a free trial on Britannica.com.