city, seat (1835) of Saginaw county, east-central Michigan, U.S. It lies at the head of navigation on the Saginaw River (leading to Saginaw Bay in Lake Huron), about 100 miles (160 km) northwest of Detroit. Saginaw, an Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian word meaning "land of the Sauks," developed around a fur-trading post (established 1816). Called East Saginaw, it consolidated with South Saginaw in 1873 and with Saginaw City in 1889 to form the present city. A former lumbering centre, Saginaw has turned to agriculture and diversified manufacturing (especially auto parts). Major salt, coal, and petroleum deposits are nearby, and sugar beets and beans are produced in the Saginaw valley. A branch of Great Lakes (junior) College (1907) is located in the city. Poet Theodore Roethke and musician Stevie Wonder were born in Saginaw. Inc. village, 1855; city, 1857. Pop. (2000) city, 61,799; Saginaw-Saginaw Township North MSA, 210,039; (2005 est.) city, 58,361; Saginaw-Saginaw Township North MSA, 208,356.
Learn more about Saginaw with a free trial on Britannica.com.