talavera de la reina
city, Toledo provincia (provincia), in the comunidad autonoma (autonomous community) of Castile-La Mancha, central Spain, on the northern bank of the Tagus River near its confluence with the Alberche. The city originated as the Roman Caesarobriga and was conquered by King Alfonso VI in 1082. Alfonso XI gave it to his queen, Maria of Portugal, whence its appellation de la Reina ("of the queen"). Historic monuments include the city walls, with 18 watchtowers, dating from the 12th and 13th centuries; the Gothic Church of Santa Maria la Mayor; the Mudejar Church of Santiago; and a 15th-century bridge over the Tagus. In 1809 the French were defeated at Talavera in an important battle of the Peninsular War.
Learn more about Talavera de la Reina with a free trial on Britannica.com.