city, eastern Moldova. It lies along the Dniester River and the Odessa-Chisinau railway. It was founded by Russia in 1795 alongside a fortress built in 1792 to protect the lands Russia had acquired through the Treaty of Jassy (1792). From 1924 to 1940, it was the capital of the then Moldavian Autonomous S.S.R., established by the Soviets on Ukrainian territory east of the Dniester. Occupied by German forces in 1941, Tiraspol was retaken by the Soviets in 1944. The city, with its large Russian population, has been at the centre of a Russian separatist movement east of the Dneister.
Learn more about Tiraspol with a free trial on Britannica.com.