municipality, Flanders Region, north-central Belgium, on the Dender River, 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Brussels. The town hall (begun in the middle of the 12th century), with its 52-bell carillon, is the oldest in Belgium, and its archives include 12th-century manuscripts. Ravaged by fire in 1360, the town hall was subsequently rebuilt and its 13th-century belfry restored in the 15th century. The first printing shop in the Low Countries was established there in 1473 by Thierry Martens (later a professor at the Catholic University of Leuven). The French took Aalst in 1667 during the War of Devolution that gave southern Flanders to France. The Germans occupied the town in both world wars. Industry is dominated by the manufacture of textiles, clothing, and textile machinery. The surrounding region supplies hops for long-established breweries; the city is well known for its specialty beers, as well as for its aperitifs and chocolates. The unfinished Gothic St. Martin's Church (begun c. 1480) has vault paintings, a picture by Rubens, and a remarkable tabernacle (1605) containing sculptures executed by Hieronymus Duquesnoy the Elder. The complex of late-Gothic architecture in Aalst makes it an important tourist destination, and tourism-related businesses are an important part of the local economy. Pop. (2007 est.) mun., 77,790.
Learn more about Alost with a free trial on Britannica.com.