Ashdod

Ashdod

[ash-dod; Sephardic Hebrew ahsh-dawd]
noun
a town in W Israel: an important ancient Philistine city; early center of Christianity.
Also, Esdud.
Greek Azotos.
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To ashdod
Collins
World English Dictionary
Ashdod (ˈæʃdɒd)
 
n
a town in central Israel, on the Mediterranean coast: an important city in the Philistine Empire, with its artificial harbour (1961) it is now a major port. Pop: 192 000 (2003 est)

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Easton
Bible Dictionary

Ashdod definition


stronghold, a Philistine city (Josh. 15:47), about midway between Gaza and Joppa, and 3 miles from the Mediterranean. It was one of the chief seats of the worship of Dagon (1 Sam. 5:5). It belonged to the tribe of Judah (Josh. 15:47), but it never came into their actual possession. It was an important city, as it stood on the highroad from Egypt to Palestine, and hence was strongly fortified (2 Chr. 26:6; Isa. 20:1). Uzziah took it, but fifty years after his death it was taken by the Assyrians (B.C. 758). According to Sargon's record, it was captured by him in B.C. 711. The only reference to it in the New Testament, where it is called Azotus, is in the account of Philip's return from Gaza (Acts 8:40). It is now called Eshdud.

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary
Cite This Source
Encyclopedia Britannica
Encyclopedia

ashdod

city of southern Palestine, on the coastal plain of ancient Philistia; since 1948 it has been a city in southwestern Israel and is one of its three international ports and chief industrial centres. In antiquity Ashdod was a member of the Philistine pentapolis (five cities). Although the Bible assigns it to the tribe of Judah (Joshua 15:47), the invading Israelites were unable to subdue it or its satellite towns. When the Ark of the Covenant was lost to the Philistines in battle (1 Samuel 5), it was first taken to the Temple of Dagon at Ashdod. In the 8th century BC the city fell to King Uzziah of Judah (2 Chronicles 26:6) but was soon captured by Assyria. According to the Greek historian Herodotus, Psamtik I, pharaoh of Egypt 664-610 BC, besieged Ashdod for 29 years. Nehemiah, governor of Judaea during the Persian monarchy (5th century BC), condemned the Jews of his time for intermarrying with the Ashdodites (Nehemiah 13). In Hellenistic times the city was known as Azotus. Pompey removed it from Jewish rule and annexed it to the province of Syria. In Byzantine times it was the site of a bishopric (4th-6th century AD), but it declined to village status by the European Middle Ages. The ancient city, under the mound of Tel Ashdod, had outports at Ashdod Yam (Greek: Azotus Paralios; and the Castellum Beroart of the crusaders), south of the modern city, and at Tel Mor, within the present city limits. Excavations there by American and Israeli archaeologists in the 1950s and '60s have revealed remains dating back to the 17th century BC.

Learn more about Ashdod with a free trial on Britannica.com.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
Cite This Source
Related Words
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;