city, Bristol county, southeastern Massachusetts, U.S. It lies just northeast of Pawtucket and Providence, Rhode Island. Settled in 1643, it was part of the adjacent town of Rehoboth until separately incorporated as a town (township) in 1694 and named for Attleborough, England. In 1887 it was divided by the creation of North Attleborough. Jewelry making became an early enterprise (1780), followed by leather and textile manufacturing. The completion (1836) of the Boston-Providence Railroad stimulated the town's development. The jewelry industry (including costume jewelry, silverware, and plated ware) remains the chief source of employment, augmented by the production of electronic components, metal stampings, plastics, and other light manufactures. Inc. city, 1914. Pop. (1990) 38,383; (2000) 42,068.
Learn more about Attleboro with a free trial on Britannica.com.