city, Morehouse parish, northeastern Louisiana, U.S., 24 miles (38 km) northeast of Monroe. Settlement of the area began after a Dutch nobleman, Baron de Bastrop, was given a large land grant by the Spanish in 1796. The baron subsequently sold much of his land to Abram Morehouse, a settler from Kentucky. Bastrop was founded in 1846 as the parish seat. It experienced an industrial boom after 1916, when natural gas was discovered in the area.
Learn more about Bastrop with a free trial on Britannica.com.