city, Washington county, northwestern Oregon, U.S., in the Tualatin Valley, immediately west of Portland. The area was originally home to the Atfalati (mispronounced Tualatin) band of Kalapuya (Calapooya) Indians, most of whom had died from settler-borne diseases by the time their land was taken by treaty. The Beaverton area was settled in 1847 and laid out in 1869. It became a station on the Oregon Central (now Southern Pacific) Railroad. An agricultural-trade centre named for nearby beaver marshes, it has developed as a residential community in the heart of Oregon's "Silicon Forest," with electronics and research industries. Inc. 1893. Pop. (1970) 18,577; (1990) 53,310; (2000) 76,129.
Learn more about Beaverton with a free trial on Britannica.com.