Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
city, southwestern Finland. It lies along the Kokemaen River near the Gulf of Bothnia, north-northwest of Turku. Originally settled in the 12th century farther up the Kokemaen and chartered as Ulvila in 1365, it was moved to its present site in 1558. It was destroyed by fire in the 16th and 19th centuries but was rebuilt both times because of its ideal commercial location. Modern Pori contains a theatre (1884), the Satakunta Museum (founded 1888), and Finland's largest shortwave radio transmitting station. A year-round seaport, Pori exports lumber and wood products. Other industry includes nickel and copper refineries, machine factories, and cotton mills. The city is connected by rail with Tampere and has air service to Turku and Helsinki. Pori has port facilities on the Kokemaen River and two outports, Mantyluoto and Reposaari, on the Gulf of Bothnia. Pop. (2005 est.) 76,144.