city, Washington parish, southeastern Louisiana, U.S., at the northern terminus of the Pearl River Navigation Canal, 60 miles (97 km) north-northeast of New Orleans, near the Mississippi border. Founded in 1906 by the Great Southern Lumber Company and named for a local creek called Bogue Lusa (Choctaw: "Dark Waters" or "Smoky Waters"), it has through reforestation programs remained a major logging centre producing yellow-pine lumber, paper, and tung oil (extracted from Chinese tung trees, first planted in 1902). It is the site of Louisiana State University School of Forestry, Wildlife, and Fisheries and state and federal agricultural experiment stations. Its forest-based economy is supplemented by light manufacturing and agriculture. Inc. 1914. Pop. (1990) 14,280; (2000) 13,365.
Learn more about Bogalusa with a free trial on Britannica.com.