|1.||a secondary woody stem arising from the trunk or bough of a tree or the main stem of a shrub|
|2.||a subdivision of the stem or root of any other plant|
|3.||an offshoot or secondary part: a branch of a deer's antlers|
|4.||a. a subdivision or subsidiary section of something larger or more complex: branches of learning; branch of the family|
|b. (as modifier): a branch office|
|5.||(US) any small stream|
|6.||maths a section of a curve separated from the rest of the curve by discontinuities or special points|
|7.||computing Also called: jump a departure from the normal sequence of programmed instructions into a separate program area|
|8.||an alternative route in an atomic or nuclear decay series|
|—vb (usually foll by from) (often foll by off)|
|9.||(intr) (of a tree or other plant) to produce or possess branches|
|10.||(of stems, roots, etc) to grow and diverge (from another part)|
|11.||to divide or be divided into subsidiaries or offshoots|
|12.||to diverge from the main way, road, topic, etc|
|[C13: from Old French branche, from Late Latin branca paw, foot]|
|physics the occurrence of several decay paths (branches) in the disintegration of a particular nuclide or the de-excitation of an excited atom. The branching fraction (nuclear) or branching ratio (atomic) is the proportion of the disintegrating nuclei that follow a particular branch to the total number of disintegrating nuclides|
An offshoot or a division of the main portion of a structure, especially that of a nerve, blood vessel, or lymphatic vessel; a ramus.
a symbol of kings descended from royal ancestors (Ezek. 17:3, 10; Dan. 11:7); of prosperity (Job 8:16); of the Messiah, a branch out of the root of the stem of Jesse (Isa. 11:1), the "beautiful branch" (4:2), a "righteous branch" (Jer. 23:5), "the Branch" (Zech. 3:8; 6:12). Disciples are branches of the true vine (John 15:5, 6). "The branch of the terrible ones" (Isa. 25:5) is rightly translated in the Revised Version "the song of the terrible ones," i.e., the song of victory shall be brought low by the destruction of Babylon and the return of the Jews from captivity. The "abominable branch" is a tree on which a malefactor has been hanged (Isa. 14:19). The "highest branch" in Ezek. 17:3 represents Jehoiakim the king.
radioactive disintegration of a particular species of unstable atomic nucleus or subatomic particle that occurs by two or more different decay processes. Some nuclei of a given radioactive species may, for example, decay by ejecting an electron (negative beta decay) and the rest by ejecting an alpha particle (alpha decay). Thus, 64 percent of any collection of atoms of bismuth-212 decay to polonium-212 by ejecting electrons, while the rest (36 percent) decay to thallium-208 by ejecting alpha particles. The fraction decaying in a particular way is called the branching fraction or branching ratio.
Learn more about branching with a free trial on Britannica.com.