city, seat (1749) of Cumberland county, southwestern New Jersey, U.S. It lies along Cohansey Creek, 38 miles (61 km) south of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The site was settled by Richard Hancock in 1686, and its first name was Cohansey Bridge, for a bridge (1718) that spanned the creek. It next was called Bridge Town, later Bridgeton. A woolen mill (1811), nail works and ironworks (1815), and glass factory (1863) were early industrial enterprises. Food processing and the manufacture of glass, textiles, plastics, and chemicals are now the main industries. The Courthouse displays the Liberty Bell, which was cast in 1763 and formerly was rung annually to celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Inc. 1865. Pop. (1990) city, 18,942; Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton PMSA, 138,053; (2000) city, 22,771; Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton PMSA, 146,438.
Learn more about Bridgeton with a free trial on Britannica.com.