city, east-central Gujarat state, west-central India. It lies at the head of the Gulf of Cambay and the mouth of the Mahi River. The city was mentioned in 1293 by Marco Polo, who referred to it as a busy port. It was still a prosperous port in the late 15th century, when Muslims controlled Gujarat. As the gulf silted up, however, the port became insignificant. The city was capital of the princely state of Cambay, which was incorporated into Kaira (later Kheda) district in 1949. Cambay has become a commercial centre trading in cotton, grains, tobacco, textiles, and carpets. The textile industry is prominent, and salt, matches, and stone ornaments are also manufactured. Petroleum has been discovered in the area, and development was begun in the 1970s. Cambay is a rail terminus and is served by a main highway. Pop. (1991 prelim.) 76,724.
Learn more about Cambay with a free trial on Britannica.com.