Quiz: Remember the definition of mal de mer?
town, eastern New South Wales, Australia, on the Nepean section of the Hawkesbury River, in the Southern Highlands. The locality, originally known as Cowpastures, was renamed Camden Park in 1805, after the 2nd earl Camden, secretary of state for the colonies at that time, by John Macarthur, who bred merino sheep in Australia. The village, surveyed in 1836, was proclaimed a municipality in 1889. At that time, dairying was rising to prime importance in the district's economy, a position that it still holds. Other activities include coal mining, livestock raising, and the cultivation of fruits, grapes, and vegetables. The Hume Highway from Sydney, 35 miles (56 km) northeast, passes through the town. Pop. (2006) local government area, 49,645.