|Cayes (keɪ, French kaj)|
|short for Les Cayes|
town, southwestern Haiti, on the southern Caribbean shore of the southern peninsula. Founded in 1786, it was plagued by disease and pirates during colonial times. In 1815 the South American liberator Simon Bolivar visited the port to accept Haitian arms and a contingent of troops to aid him in his fight against Spain. The town was badly damaged by fire in 1908 and by hurricane in 1954. Les Cayes was the scene of a massacre in December 1929 when U.S. marines killed a dozen peasants protesting poor economic conditions under U.S. occupation. Les Cayes is Haiti's leading southern port, exporting sugar, coffee, bananas, cotton, timber, dyewood, and hides. Historic landmarks include an arsenal and several forts dating from buccaneer times. Poor roads led to the town's isolation for much of the 20th century, but a paved highway now links it to the national capital, Port-au-Prince. Pop. (2003 prelim.) 48,095.
Learn more about Cayes with a free trial on Britannica.com.