Is it farther or further?
borough (town), seat (1784) of Franklin county, southern Pennsylvania, U.S., in the Cumberland Valley, 50 miles (80 km) southwest of Harrisburg. The site was settled in 1730 by Benjamin Chambers, who built sawmills and gristmills and a stockade (Fort Chambers) there for protection against Indians. Laid out in 1764, the name Chambersburg was adopted in 1784. The abolitionist John Brown maintained his headquarters there while planning his raid in 1859 on Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now in West Virginia) and in late June 1863, General Robert E. Lee massed Confederate troops in Chambersburg for the attack at Gettysburg (26 miles [42 km] east-southeast) in July. In July 1864 the Confederates burned the town in retaliation for a Union raid into Virginia after Chambersburg citizens had refused to pay an indemnity of $100,000 in gold.