|a printed punctuation mark (‽), available only in some typefaces, designed to combine the question mark (?) and the exclamation point (!), indicating a mixture of query and interjection, as after a rhetorical question.|
|a screen or mat covered with a dark material for shielding a camera lens from excess light or glare.|
town, capital of Haute-Marne departement, Champagne-Ardenne region, eastern France, southeast of Paris. Situated on the edge of a plateau at the confluence of the Marne and the Suize rivers in the upper Marne valley, it was originally called Calvus Mons (Bald Mountain) and was built around a 10th-century castle. At first a stronghold of the counts of Bassigny, it was the residence of the counts of Champagne for a century until 1329, when it became attached to the crown. Great Britain, Austria, Russia, and Prussia concluded a treaty at Chaumont in 1814, binding themselves to prosecute the Napoleonic War until final victory. The Church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste was built between the 13th and the 16th century. Chaumont is on the main railway from Paris to Basel (Switzerland) and adjacent to the Paris-Langres highway. The town was originally a centre of metalworking; now its primarily light industrial base includes the manufacture of medical appliances. Pop. (1999) 25,996.
Learn more about Chaumont with a free trial on Britannica.com.