municipality, West Flanders province, western Belgium. It lies along the Leie (Lys) River and the Leie-Scheldt Canal. The Roman settlement of Cortracum was established there, and in the 7th century St. Eloi erected a chapel on the site of the present St. Martin's Church. Chartered in 1190, Kortrijk reached its peak in the Middle Ages as a centre of the linen damask industry.
Learn more about Courtrai with a free trial on Britannica.com.