city, seat (1823) of Montgomery county, west-central Indiana, U.S., on Sugar Creek, 46 miles (74 km) northwest of Indianapolis. Founded in 1823, it was named for Colonel William Crawford, an Indian fighter and popular politician who served (1815-25) in the cabinets of Presidents James Madison and James Monroe. It is a commercial centre for the surrounding agricultural area (corn [maize], hogs, dairying) and has acquired some industries, notably printing and bookbinding. Wabash College for men was founded there in 1832 by Presbyterian missionaries. Crawfordsville was the home of General Lew Wallace, author of Ben-Hur; Henry S. Lane, statesman; and Maurice Thompson, poet and novelist. Wallace's study (1896) and Lane's home (1836) are preserved as museums. Shades State Park is about 17 miles (27 km) southwest. Inc. town, 1834; city, 1865. Pop. (2000) 15,243; (2005 est.) 15,155.
Learn more about Crawfordsville with a free trial on Britannica.com.