noun, plural crowfoots for 1, 2, crowfeet for 3–6.
any plant of the genus Ranunculus, especially one with divided leaves suggestive of a crow's foot; buttercup.
any of various other plants with leaves or other parts suggestive of a bird's foot, as certain species of the genus Geranium.
caltrop ( def 1 ).
Nautical. an arrangement of several bridlelike ropes rove through a suspended euphroe to support the backbone of an awning at a number of points.
Movies, Television. a three-legged device placed under a tripod to keep the camera from slipping.
(on an architectural or engineering drawing) a V -shaped mark the apex of which is a reference point.

1400–50; late Middle English crowefote. See crow1, foot Unabridged


noun, plural crow's-feet.
Usually, crow's-feet. any of the tiny wrinkles at the outer corners of the eyes resulting from age or constant squinting.
Aeronautics. an arrangement of ropes in which one main rope exerts pull at several points simultaneously through a group of smaller ropes, as in balloon or airship rigging.
(in tailoring) a three-pointed embroidered design used as a finish, as at the end of a seam or opening.
crowfoot ( def 1 ).

1350–1400; Middle English; so called because likened to a crow's foot or footprint Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To crowfoot
World English Dictionary
crowfoot (ˈkrəʊˌfʊt)
n , pl -foots, -feet, -feet
1.  See also buttercup any of several plants of the genus Ranunculus, such as R. sceleratus and R. aquatilis (water crowfoot) that have yellow or white flowers and divided leaves resembling the foot of a crow
2.  any of various other plants that have leaves or other parts resembling a bird's foot
3.  nautical a bridle-like arrangement of lines rove through a wooden block or attached to a ring for supporting an awning from above
4.  military another name for caltrop

n , pl -feet
1.  (often plural) a wrinkle at the outer corner of the eye
2.  an embroidery stitch with three points, used esp as a finishing at the end of a seam
3.  a system of diverging short ropes to distribute the pull of a single rope, used esp in balloon and airship riggings

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Copyright © 2014, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature