town (township), Essex county, eastern Massachusetts, U.S. It lies just northeast of Boston. Founded in the 1630s by Governor John Endecott, it was part of Salem and originally known as Salem Village (site of the witchcraft hysteria of 1692). Set off from Salem as a district in 1752, it was incorporated in 1775 (a 1757 act of incorporation had been invalidated because of supposed opposition by the British king George II) and renamed for the Danvers Osborne family of New York. In 1855 South Danvers became a separate town, and it was renamed Peabody in 1868. Shoemaking, carpet making, and brickmaking were early industries. The service sector accounts for the largest share of employment in Danvers, but electronic equipment, lamps, computer software, and telecommunications equipment are also produced. Danvers is the site of North Shore Community College (1965). Many colonial homes have been restored, and the town is the birthplace of the Revolutionary War leader General Israel Putnam. The Witchcraft Victims' Memorial lists the names of those who were executed during the Salem witch trials of 1692. Area 14 square miles (36 square km). Pop. (1990) 24,174; (2000) 25,212.
Learn more about Danvers with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|a gadget; dingus; thingumbob.|
|an arrangement of five objects, as trees, in a square or rectangle, one at each corner and one in the middle.|