Your favorite word could be our Word of the Day!
city, seat (1839) of Lee county, northwestern Illinois, U.S. It lies on the Rock River, about 100 miles (160 km) west of Chicago. The area was settled in 1828 by Joseph Ogee, who established a ferry service across the river. Two years later the town was founded by John Dixon (for whom the city is named), a postmaster who took over operation of the ferry service and established a tavern on his mail route between Peoria and Galena. General Henry Atkins built Fort Dixon as a base for his campaign in 1832 against Chief Black Hawk. On the river's north bank, at the site of the former Dixon Blockhouse, is a bronze statue (by Leonard Crunelle; dedicated 1930) depicting the young Abraham Lincoln as a captain in the militia during the war, which brought to Dixon several men of later prominence, including Lincoln and Zachary Taylor (both future presidents of the United States) and Jefferson Davis (who became president of the Confederate States of America).