two wells, a famous pasture-ground where Joseph found his brethren watching their flocks. Here, at the suggestion of Judah, they sold him to the Ishmaelite merchants (Gen. 37:17). It is mentioned on monuments in B.C. 1600. It was the residence of Elisha (2 Kings 6:13), and the scene of a remarkable vision of chariots and horses of fire surrounding the mountain on which the city stood. It is identified with the modern Tell-Dothan, on the south side of the plain of Jezreel, about 12 miles north of Samaria, among the hills of Gilboa. The "two wells" are still in existence, one of which bears the name of the "pit of Joseph" (Jubb Yusuf).
city, Houston and Dale counties, seat (1903) of Houston county, southeastern Alabama, U.S., about 90 miles (145 km) southeast of Montgomery. Originally settled as Poplar Head in the early 1800s, the name was changed to Dothan (for a biblical location) in 1885. Cotton was the main crop until it was devastated by boll weevil infestations (1915-16).
Learn more about Dothan with a free trial on Britannica.com.