urban district and seaport on the southern border of County Louth, Ireland. Drogheda lies along the River Boyne about 4 miles (6.5 km) from its mouth. Drogheda was a stronghold and trading post of the Norsemen in the 8th-11th century and of the Anglo-Normans in the 12th century. Two towns grew up, one on either side of the river; they received separate incorporation in 1228 but were combined by charter in 1412. In the reign of Edward III it was a staple town (by royal fiat, a trade and export centre), and several medieval parliaments met there. In 1649 it fell to Oliver Cromwell, and its inhabitants were massacred. It ceased to be a parliamentary borough in 1885 and a county of itself in 1898
Learn more about Drogheda with a free trial on Britannica.com.