city, seat (1836) of Chemung county, southern New York, U.S. It lies on the Chemung River, near the Pennsylvania border, 60 miles (97 km) west of Binghamton. The first European settlement (1787) was incorporated as the village of Newtown in 1815. Renamed Elmira in 1828 for the daughter of an early settler, Nathan Teall, it grew after the completion in 1832 of the Chemung Canal to Seneca Lake (20 miles [32 km] north) and developed industrially after the arrival of the Erie Railroad in 1849. Manufactures include machine tools, valves, fire-fighting equipment, and electronic products
Learn more about Elmira with a free trial on Britannica.com.