city, seat (1860) of Lyon county, east-central Kansas, U.S. It lies between the Cottonwood and Neosho rivers. Established in 1857 by a town company whose charter prohibited the sale and consumption of alcohol within the town site, it was named after a legendary ancient city in North Africa or for a market centre in Greece. The settlement developed as a trading centre after the arrival of the railroad (Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe) in 1869. Severe droughts that plagued the city were ended in 1938 with the damming of the Kahola valley 25 miles (40 km) to the northwest. The Emporia Gazette became probably the best-known and respected "small-town" newspaper in the United States under the editorship of William Allen White, who bought it in 1895. The William Allen White House is a state historic site. The city is now the trading and shipping centre of a large farming and dairying area and is the seat of Emporia State University (1863) and Flint Hills Technical College (1963). Attractions include a municipal zoo and the National Teachers Hall of Fame (1989). Chase and Lyon state fishing lakes are nearby. Inc. 1870. Pop. (1990) 25,512; (2000) 26,760.
Learn more about Emporia with a free trial on Britannica.com.