Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
town, Shepway district, administrative and historic county of Kent, England. Once a "limb" of the Cinque Port of Dover (7 mi [11 km] east), Folkestone shared that town's privileges and duties until, in 1629, the local inhabitants obtained a license to build a port. From the beginning of the railway age, Folkestone developed both as a cross-Channel passenger port (Boulogne, Fr., lies 26 mi away) and as a high-class seaside resort. Today Folkestone is at the English terminus of the Channel Tunnel to France. Along the sandy cliff to the west, the Leas, a broad promenade with lawns, extends 2 mi to Sandgate above the shore road and gardens. William Harvey, the 17th-century physician, was a native and is commemorated by a statue on the Leas