second largest city of Victoria, Australia, and a major port on Corio Bay (an extension of Port Phillip Bay). Founded in 1837, its name is a derivation of the Aboriginal word jillong, which means "the place of the native companion," referring to a long-legged water bird. Formally declared a town in 1838, it was proclaimed a municipality in 1849. Depopulated by news of gold strikes (1851), Geelong began to recover when its rail link to Melbourne was completed (1857). It became a city in 1910 and grew rapidly after World War II.
Learn more about Geelong with a free trial on Britannica.com.